Friday, June 29, 2012

2 beautiful thinking of you cards; Sympathy and Get Well.

Last week I made two cards. Hubby and I got word that our surrogate mama was back in the hospital due to a few health problems. We were not happy to hear this. she has been having a lot of health issues lately, so I figured I would make her a card to cheer her up. We also got word that a friend of ours mother had passed away. I wanted to make a card for her as well. I wasn't sure how well it would be received, as I'm always scared to give someone a sympathy card, but hopefully she likes it! I always say, it's the thought that counts, even if someone just throws it in the trash.

Here are the 2 cards... a small preview, clickety, click, click below to see the full deets. :)

Thinking of you get well...
 Thinking of you with sympathy...




So the get well card was super simple to make. Ok, I take that back. the card itself was simple to make, the bow was a pain in the butt to tie!!!! It took me several tries to get it right. The ribbon I used is sorta stiff. I took an extra piece and wet it and then ran it through my ribbon press (AKA, a hair straightener--No, NEVER used on hair, LOL) but it was still pretty stiff. I guess it's just the type of ribbon it is. Anyhow, all together the card took me like 10 minutes to make. Here she is:

The purple cardstock is bazzill. The stamp I used is a clear stamp from the Basicgrey Lace and Rose set. it's the biggest flower in the set of 10 stamps. I really do like it. I couldn't find my "large" acrylic block, so I had to use my large rocker block and for some reason, the image didn't stamp fully in all spots, it stamped kinda faded in some spots., but that's ok, it's still pretty just the same! the ink I used was Stampin' Up! rich razzleberry.

 The thinking of you sentiment is from one of my studio G mini sets. I punched out a piece on white cardstock from the Stampin' Up! Decorative label punch and then stamped the image. I then punched another piece of the purple cardstock. I ended up cutting off the wings from the left and right side and then layering the white on top. I used some blue pigment ink from my catseye queue stack to stamp the sentiment as well as to ink the edges of all the white cardstock.
I'm not sure what company the blue ribbon is from, I just know I bought it at walmart. lol I take all my ribbon off the spools and store them on round old timey clothes pins.
 The inside of the card, I just layered some white cardstock on top of the purple. I used the leaf stem from the same Basicgrey set. i stamped it in rich razzleberry and then the blue on top of that. The small sentiment is from the Stampin' Up! Occasional Quotes set and is stamped in rich razzleberry, and I just crossed out "me" and wrote "us" in a matching color with one of my zig markers. the get well sentiment is from the Stampin' Up! sincere salutations set and I stamped it in the same blue as the other sentiment on the front and as the leaf stem.

You can see 2 of the corners are punched, I did punch all 4 corners, but I coudln't take a pic of the whole inside of the card because for some reason, I can't get my camera to take "non-blurry" pics of the insides of my cards since there is so much extra white space. I'm trying to figure out how to do that. :-/
The corners are punched with the Fiskars Ivy Blossom Corner Emboss and Punch combo.


Here is the thinking of you with sympathy card:
First, I have to admit, this card design was not completely my own design and idea. I saw it on Pinterest and I decided to CASE (copy and slightly edit) it. This is the original one I saw http://pinterest.com/pin/221661612880125784/
I did change a few things on the card.

My card has rounded corners, the colors are completely different, and my sentiment box is way smaller, with rounded corners and a sentiment added. I also used a knot instead of a bow.

I don't know what it was that day, but as with the first card above, I also had trouble getting the stamp to stamp fully on this one for the daisies on the bottom grey cardstock to the far left. I actually had to stamp over it twice (using my stamp-a-ma-jig to line it up just perfect). I do think it is the cardstock I used for this one, as to why I had that issue, because I started to make another card today, and used a piece of this same cardstock and the image didn't wanna stamp all the way, and I used a completely different stamp. it's the cardstock is too thick to soak up the ink.

Anyhow, the daisies on the bottom grey cardstock are stamped in Stampin' Up! going gray. the blue cardstock is bazzill and the grey cardstock is, uhm, dcvw recycled cardstock, if I remember correctly (don't quote me on that though!).

 The flowers are from Stampin' Up! upsy daisy set. for the flowers on the accent square, I colored the stamp with one of my zig markers. I used the blue marker for the flowers and then a grey marker for the stems. the sentiment is from Stampin' Up! Sincere salutations and is stamped in going gray.
 for the inside of the card I just layered some white cardstock on top of the grey bazzill. I used just the right portion of the upsy daisy flowers. I colored them with blue and the stems with grey zig markers and then stamped them.
the top sentiment is from Stampin' Up! whimsical words, stamped in going gray, and the bottom sentiment is stamped with the same blue marker from the Stampin' Up! teeny tiny wishes set.

Well, those are my two cards. I hope you like them. :)
Keep on Craftin' and please, be kind to one another!
~Melisa Marie

Supplies Used:
Thinking of you-Get Well Card:
Cardstock: Bazzill, Georgia Pacific (white), Embellishments: Blue shimmer ribbon, Stamps: Basicgrey Rose and Lace, Studio g "thinking of you", Stampin' Up! Occasional Quotes, Stampin' Up! Sincere Salutations. Ink Pads: Stampin' Up! Rich Razzleberry, colorbox catseye queue, blue. Writing Supply: Zig Marker. Tools: Glue Glider Pro (Pink), glue glider pro Perma-Tac adhesive (permanent), MS score board, cricut paper trimmer, Corner Rounder punch, Fiskars Ivy Blossom Corner Emboss and Punch combo, Stampin' Up! Decorative Label punch, scissors.

Thinking of you-Sympathy card:
Cardstock: Bazzill, Georgia Pacific (white), Grey Recycled Cardstock (DCWV, I think).  Embellishments: Blue grosgrain ribbon, Stamps: Stampin' Up! Upsy Daisy, Stampin' Up! Whimsical Words, Stampin' Up! Sincere Salutations, Stampin' Up! Teeny Tiny Wishes. Ink Pads: Stampin' Up! Going Gray. Writing Supplies: Zig Markers-blue, grey. Tools: Glue Glider Pro (Pink), glue glider pro Perma-Tac adhesive (permanent), MS score board, cricut paper trimmer, Corner Rounder punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig, scissors.

2 comments:

  1. I really like these, they remind me of resist stamping or even watercolor look. Like when you take a marker and color your stamp and spray it with water and stamp, really pretty. I know what you are talking about, losing your mojo. Mine's done got up and ran away, think it went to Alaska to escape this crazy triple digit heat! We NEED to have a crafting session and soon! Hugs! I've been busy trying to do classes so that I can get some help with some college classes. I have to make up two classes tomorrow and then Thursday but Amanda will be gone this weekend so maybe then. ttyl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, yeah, they are more like water coloring. that seems to be the ONLY affect I get when coloring my stamps with my zig markers to stamp the images.

    I've always wondered if the SU! stamp and write markers look the same as this when stamped, or if they actually stamp clean like a stamp pad.

    I'm sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, I just now got alerted that there was a comment on it, weird!

    I'm glad that you're back to crafting though! :)
    Miss you bunches! ((hugs)) <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...