Monday, October 8, 2012

My Halloween ATC Swap Card

I used to do ATC cards (artist trading card) and ATC swaps a LOT, but don't do them very often anymore. I recently joined an ATC swap in one of my craft groups and had to make 1 card for my partner. I ended up actually making 2 of this card and am going to send one to my auntie for halloween.

this is the ATC I came up with. Here is a preview, clickety click below to see the whole card.

So, here is the completed card.

I really DID want to add more "color" to the card, or more of a "background". and I did try it, but honestly, it was just way too busy with deco cardstock. I was also going to add a small stamped image in the top right corner of a half moon and some bats, but when i did a test of it with all these elements it was just too much! sometimes, I just HAVE to follow the keep it simple rule.

Anyhow, the orange background is Bazzill cardstock. I distressed the edges with my metal nail file (I purchased it only for distressing my cardstock, I find that I like using it (and that I get a better result) than when using a paper edge distresser). The mummy, the bat and the spider were all stamped from the new Stampin' Up! Googly Ghouls. I stamped the mummy in black and then highlighed his lines in a light tan/cream color zig brushable marker. ya know, I was going for that look of his body being dirtied around the lines. hard to see on the small pic, but click it and it will get bigger. I put a 5mm googly eye on him and that just completed it!

I stamped the bat in gray ink and then hand cut him out (that is such a pain, as I quickly remembered the last card I made with TWO of them!! LOL). I put red stickles on his eyes to give them a glittered glow.
I stamped the spiderweb in shimmer silver colorbox ink and then did the spider in black. I had to use my stamp-a-ma-jig and stamp the spider like 8 times or so, because of the texture to the bazzill the image had little missing spots from the spaces in the paper. but stamping and re-stamping a few times fixed that. :)
I stamped the halloween sentiment from the Stampin' Up! teeny tiny wishes set.


Here are 2 pictures of the ATC on it's back to show dimension of the card.
As you can see, the mummy is on a "spring". I handmade that spring by taking the metal strip out of a bread tie. I wrapped it around the thinner end of my paint brush and then fed each end through a small piece of cardstock. I covered it in duct tape (I tell ya, duct tape truly does work for EVERYTHING--even crafts LOL) and then cut out a small (and I do mean SMALL) circle. I used glossy accents to attach it to the back of the mummy and then the base of the cardstock. The spring is a little off centered with each loop, but that is ok, it won't be seen anyways.

 As you can see, the bat wings are popped off the card too. I just rolled them over my paint brush end to give them some shape. :)



Well, I hope you like my ATC card and I hope I've inspired you to make something spook-tacular for Halloween!!
check below for a list of my supplies.

Keep on Craftin'!
~Melisa Marie


Supplies used:
Cardstock/Paper: Bazzill, Georgia Pacific.   Embellishments: Stampin' Up Googly Eye (1), Christmas Red Stickles.   Stamps: Stampin' Up! Googly Ghouls, Stampin' Up Teeny Tiny Wishes, Inkadinkado Haunted House (spiderweb).  Ink Pads: Memento (tuxedo Black), Stampin' Up! Going Gray, Colorbox Shimmer Silver, Colorbox Catseye Que, brown.  Coloring/Writing Supplies: Zig Brushable Marker.  Tools:  Cricut paper trimmer, metal nail file, scissors, wire cutters, Glossy Accents, Duct Tape, metal wire, paint brush, scotch double sided tape, stamp-a-ma-jib, acrylic blocks (stamp mounts).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...