Thursday, June 16, 2011

For the birthday guy!

Hey there everyone! How are you all doing?

Today is my hubby's 42nd birthday!! I'm catching up to him though, I'll be 33 on the 24th. YIKES!! but, I'm still just a baby compared to him. haha.

So, I made him this birthday card last night/this morning...


I should say, I worked on it from midnight to about 4am this morning. Yes, I know, that is a very long time to work on a card that turned out as simple as this one did; however, there were some snags that I kept hitting and then it took me a little bit to make the parchment paper on the card!

Here is the card...


Hubby and I love, Love, loveeee pirates and anything to do with pirates. I thought this would be cute. He really likes it!! I have to say, I am kicking myself though because I worked on it sooo long and I was sooo tired that I actually didn't FINISH the card! yes, this is the final product; however, it's missing something that I really wanted to do to it!

Ok, so the parchment paper is something I made. I took regular white cardstock, I dyed it with tea. while still wet, I crumpled it up and rolled it in a ball and then laid it out flat and heat dry it with my embossing gun. I then used a brayer and SU! Chocolate Chip ink and ran some ink over it (but I brayered the majority of the ink onto a scrap sheet of paper first, I didn't want the color too dark). My PLAN was to draw a treasure map onto the paper. But, I totally forgot. by the time I started layering the card and attaching everything together, it slipped my mind. I mean, it was 4am afterall, and I'd been up since 5am the day before! :-/ So, anyhow, to finish the parchment paper, I "tore" it from the bigger sheet I had made, just to have this size. then I took my edge distresser and distressed the edges. I did some rolling of the top corner by wetting it with my fingers and some water and rolling it around a pencil.

So, anyhow, it's missing that one component, but overall I like the direction I went with it, and it did still turn out very cute! Hubby really liked it, and didn't think it was too childish (which I was afraid he would think). My hubby is actually different than most, he LOVES all the cute little stamps and digi stamps, and all the cute characters. anytime I get a new one, I show it to him. sometimes he likes them, sometimes he doesn't, but he does like the majority of them.

For the octopus paper, I just "tore" it, as well as for the sentiment that I typed up in word and printed on textured cardstock.

The little guy I used for the image is named "Pirate Luka" from La-La Land Crafts. I colored him with prisma colored pencils and then blended with gamsol. I put glossy accents over luka's eyes, the birds eye, luka's buttons and the skull and cross bones on luka's hat. I finished the card off by adding some cool green wired rope that I attached with glossy accents (for a nice strong hold!). I then added skittles to 3 of the corners. I didn't put a skittle in the top right corner because I have a "birthday" clip there.

Well, that's my card for my hubby's bday, hope you like! :)


Have a great week everyone.
Keep on scrappin' and please, be kind to one another.
~Melisa Marie

1 comment:

  1. I love your card! It' doesn't matter that you forgot your map, the parchment looks like it was torn from the corner of that map anyway!lol
    Thanks for following my blog! I am now a follower of your & look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...