Monday, May 12, 2014

Fun and Fanciful Mother's Day

This year was a fun and fanciful Mother's Day! :)
I made a fun card for my Ma, and a fancy, classy card for my Grandma.

This year for Mother's day, I wanted to try something new in my card making. It was my first ever attempt at making a card that wasn't perfectly squared, that didn't simply open from the side or the top. I made my first ever "center step card" for my Ma. For starters, I am HORRIBLE at measuring. usually I just lay paper on top of each other, scoot it over a tad and draw a small line at bottom, as to mark where I need to cut for the layers. LOL
Well, I didn't even have a ruler, so I got one at walmart. it's a really pretty fiskars ruler, and it was marked .97. it rang up as .10, yes, ten cents, people!!

Anyhow, the card came out awesome! I had been fussing with it for about 2 hours and i still couldn't get it down, after measuring, re-measuring, watching 4 you tube tutorials, I was still STUCK. so, I just put the card aside and moved onto my Grandma's card. the next day, when I got up, I searched one more time on you tube for a video tutorial, and I FINALLY understood from watching it.  BEST tutorial on how to do this card!!

Anyhow, here are my cards, click below to see.

So, Here is the center step card for my Ma. I thought it came out SO cute!!!


The flower is made from the CTMH stamp set "Just For You". I used SU!  Melon Mambo (Pink) for the center medallion, SU! Tempting Turquoise, SU! Rich Razzleberry, and CTMH Creme Brule for the petals. For the leaves I used CTMH Sweet Leaf.


I stamped the background/outline of the flower, then I stamped each individual petal and leaves, and then hand cut them out. I put 2 of each petal on the background/outline layer, and then I created a 2nd layer by using the middle medallion circle and attaching the petals to it from behind.


As you can see from the 2 pics below, I had a difficult time creating the 2nd (top) layer of the flower. The pic on the left of this one, is my finished flower, the pic on the right was my 1st attempt at the top layer. it's off by quite a bit on the petals, so I started from scratch on a new layer. I didn't get exactly perfect on my 2nd attempt, but closer and better.
 Here is a side view of the card... For the punched borders, I used SU! Eyelet Border Punch. I cut strips of heart and peace sign paper from Recollections "All Girl" 6x6 paper pad, the yellow heart paper and the turquoise grid paper is from the same pad as well.
It wasn't until AFTER I gave the card to my Ma, that I was aware that strip on the left side of the card was upside down. LOL She pointed it out to me. OOPPPPPSSSS see what happens when you work on a card for 2 hours at 3 am. lol

 Here is a different side view. I used the pop up foam dementionals to give the flower some height.
 a different side view. I used the border punched paper on the small inside fold of the front of the card as well.
 In looking on google for the instructions to a center step card, I saw a lot of them, but never saw any that had the inside decorated. It just looked SO plain and blah. So, I adorned the backside with just some plain pink cardstock (to match the Melon Mambo from the front), cut the small hearts in a 1" square from the left over scraps from the front strip, cut the 1" strips from the heart and peace signs and then I stamped the flowers from the Sizzix Framelits set "Butterflies #3". I used SU! Tempting Turquoise and SU! Certainly Celery.
On the Inside I used the thinking of you sentiment from the K&Company-Amy Butler "Lotus Greeting" stamp set. It's stamped in SU! Rich Razzleberry






So that's it for my Ma's card. Here is the card I made for my Grandma...

 I wanted something that was very beautiful, yet whimsical and still classy. This card had to be the most special card I've ever made. My grandma isn't doing too well, she is very old and is constantly sick. I am pretty sure this year will be her last, so i wanted something that would remind her of the joy and beauty that she's brought to everyone's life.

 For the center focus, I ran some white cardstock through the Sizzix Big Shot with the SU! Top Note Die. I used my sponge dobber to ink the edges in SU! "Chocolate Chip". I stamped the butterfly scroll image from the Inkadinkado "Nostalgia" set in CTMH "Pansy Purple" ink.

I stamped the Love You sentiment from SU! "Itty Bitty Banners" in CTMH "Baby Pink" ink, and ran it through the Sizzix Big Shot with the SU! "Itty Bitty Banners" coordinating die. I inked the edges of the banner in SU! "Chocolate Chip" as well.


 For this bottom portion of the front of the card I used some purple heart paper from the Recollections "All Girl" 6x6 paper stack. I had this GORGEOUS vintage lace with satin trim that I purchased last summer at a quilt yard sale that I went to with my Ma and my Auntie Erica. I got 2 yards of this lace from 1.50. I'd say that's a pretty good deal! That's what I love about those quilting yard sale is that it's people selling off their overstock, their un-used stash etc. so you get a lot of stuff for cheap!


 And this is the inside of the card. I stamped the butterfly scroll from the same set from the front, Inkadinkado "Nostalgia" and I also used the CTMH "Pansy Purple".
The "Have a Wonderful Day" is actually a small clear stamp that says "Have a Wonderful Birthday", but I just inked the stamp up and then wiped off the "birth" part of it, so it just say "day". The "Love You" is also a small clear stamp, I think it's a Studio G stamp.




Well, those are my 2 cards for today, I hope you enjoyed and thank you for stopping by.

Check back soon, because I still have 25 other creations I've made to share with you.

Keep on Craftin'
~Melisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...