Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A CASE of Flowers and Framelits

Every so often I see a card somewhere online that I just absolutely adore! I follow a lot of people on Pinterest and Flickr. I see some amazing cards, scrapbook pages, mini albums etc.

This time, I came across another gorgeous card made by Lissy Nedergaard Frederiksen. I follow both her blog and her Flickr, and THIS card caught my eye. I have a few Sizzix Framelits sets and I don't use them very often because sometimes, it's hard to come up with a card layout. When I have these troubles, I often search online for inspiration. But, this time, there was no searching, I just happened to come across her card and wanted to CASE (Copy And Slightly Edit) her card. Mine and hubby's friend Jenn just had a birthday and this was the card I decided to CASE to create for her.

Am I happy with my card results, not really, but that's the breaks. Sometimes a CASE comes out good, and sometimes, it goes wrong. Where I went wrong, I'm not so sure. The only thing I don't like about my card is the green that I used for the side borders. But, take a look and let me know what you think, please!

Anyhow, I'll stop babbling, here is a sneak peek of my card, click below to see the full card details.






THIS was Lissy's Card... I love her muted colors. My colors ended up a little brighter. :-/


And here is how my card turned out.... I started this card in a completely different direction, and somehow, this is where and how it ended up. :-/ What do you think?



I did start this card out with the brown Kraft cardstock like Lissy used, but in using the colors Stampin' Up! Rich Razzleberry, Stampin' Up Certainly Celery and Tim Holtz Peacock Feathers distress ink, the colors weren't showing up properly on the Kraft cardstock. Everything was turning out a darkish green color, which was weird. I knew that for sure, I wanted to use the TH Peacock Feathers ink with the SU! Rich Razzleberry ink colors, but I wasn't sure what other color to use. I always like to use 3 colors, at least, on more details cards. I knew I had to use green on this card because of the leaves on the framelit stamp and the leaves of the flower. I couldn't decide if I should mix a dark with a light or what, so I just went light.

I really didn't want my card to end up looking like an Easter card, and sadly, I think that's the direction it went.

So, after playing around with stamping these flower images on different colors of light cardstock, I ended up having to go with plain white cardstock. I think the flowers are REALLY cute!! I stamped them from the Love Elsie "Lola" stamp set.

Here is a pic of the card from the side. After stamping and diecutting the framelit shape, I used some 3d foam squares to pop it up and add some dimension to the card.

 My FAVORITE part of my finished card is the butterflies! At first, I just used some plain colored, textured cardstock and the Martha Stewart butterfly punch to punch some butterflies out... I laid them on the card and I didn't like how plain they looked. So, I played around with some alcohol inks, some Stampin' Up! re-inker, some colored pencils and then finally I grabbed a couple of Stampin' Up! markers. I went with the SU! Rich Razzleberry, SU! Certainly Celery and SU! Bermuda Bay. I just swiped the marker back and forth over some plain white cardstock until I was happy with the streaks. and then, I strategically placed the punch over the parts of the cardstock that I wanted the butterflies to look like and I punched. I really am happy with the butterflies on here. I added a small gem to each butterfly so it didn't look plain.

Here is the sentiment. I used the Sizzix Framelits 657775--Frames with Sprigs. I double stamped the flower and fuzzy cut an extra flower out so that I could layer it. I used the Happy Birthday sentiment from the Stampin' Up! Elementary Elegance set and added a small gem above the 'i'. I think it tied it in well with the rest of the card.
I wasn't too happy with any of my ribbon for this card. I was going to use white shimmer ribbon, but it blended in too much with the background paper that the flowers are stamped on.
I ended up coloring the white shimmer ribbon. I just used a sponge dauber and the TH Peacock Feather ink. I ran the dauber over the ribbon, back and forth until I was happy with the deepness of the color. The ribbon color is pretty, but I'm starting to think, the more I look at the card, that I should have just tied a 'knot' instead of a bow.

Here is the inside of the card. I used one of the flowers from the same Love Elsie set (Lola) and then I used the Best Wishes sentiment from the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut Collection stamp set.

I really do like small sentiments like this, they pair well with sentiments on the outside of the cards.


Well, that's all for this card. I am sure that Jenn will enjoy her card, I'm a bit late getting it to her.
What do you think of how my card turned out, compared to Lissy's card? I mean, I know it's not near as pretty. Not even as pretty as I wanted it to be!
Thank you for stopping by to check out more of my crafts, I appreciate you taking the time to look. :)

Keep on Craftin'
~Melisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...