Friday, March 15, 2019

Altered-Creating Magnets

Quite a few years ago I created some Magnets for my beloved Grandma (now departed but always in my heart). A few months ago our Daughter saw them in one of my memory posts on Facebook and really liked them. She asked that I make her a set sometime. I was working on a birthday card for her Son (our Grand baby who's turning 1!) and I figured while I had my SU! Decorative Label punch out, I would take the time to make her magnets while trying to figure out the details of the card for our Grand Son... I made her magnets similar but very different than I did for my Grandma. I didn't want them to look too close as I always try to keep everything OOAK (one of a kind).
Anyhow, click below to see the cute set of magnets!


I made a set of  4 magnets. I used thin Photo 'cut 'n' go' photo magnet sheets. My SU! Decorative Label punch cuts through the magnet sheets as easily as it cuts through cardstock. For the main base of each magnet I used the SU! "Four Frames" set and cut them with the coordinating punch. Though the top part of the magnet is "sticky" I put Glossy Accents on the back of each punch out before adhering it to the magnets for an extra strong extra long hold.

Starting with the "Love" magnet I stamped the flower image in SU! Pixie Pink. For the "Love" word I masked off a quote from the SU! "Butterfly Prints" sets and stamped it in TH Dusty Concord (purple). I used my MS 3 Butterflies punch and punched out various cardstock butterflies. For this one I inked the edges in SU! Daffodil Delight, Old Olive and TH Dusty Concord. I put WOC ultra mini pearls on the 2 tiny butterflies and a gem in the middle of the medium one and adhered only the middle of the backs of the butterflies to the punch out. Their wings are puffed up off the magnet for dimension (you can see the shadow, they're pulled up pretty high).

We love her and all our Grand Babies (all 6 of them!) and she has lots of love she dishes out everyday to us and all her littles. I wanted to use butterflies on this love one because of the saying "love is like a butterfly; it goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes". That quote reminded me of love and so I thought I'd tie butterflies in with this.


The 2nd one is a "Kindness" Magnets. Tiff is definitely full of Kindness, no doubt about that!
I stamped the base in SU! Daffodil Delight and for the word "Kindness" I masked it off from the 'kindness matters' saying in the SU! "Kindness Matters" set. I stamped that in SU! Pixie Pink.
for this one I used 2 butterflies and a ultra mini pearl in the middle. The teal butterfly is punched in SU! Tempting Turquoise cardstock and inked edges of the same color and the mini butterfly is inked with SU! Pixie Pink. The flower is punched with the SU! Boho Blossoms punch and the edges are inked for dimension. I used the SU! Bird Builder punch and punched out the leafy branch and just used the leaves on the back of the flower. I put a WOC medium size pearl in the middle.

The friendship one turned out so cute! I inked the base in SU! Lovely Lilac and I wiped the bird and the grass off with a wet rag and stamped the outline of the image. I love when I see bluebirds, so I decided to make the bird blue. It is stamped in SU! Ballet Blue and the grass is stamped in SU! Old Olive. I used the SU! 3 hearts punch (not sure of it's exact name) and used the medium and small heart. I inked the yellow one in SU! Only Orange and the pink one in SU! Pixie Pink. I used WOC ultra mini teal and white pearls on the hearts. For the flower I just used one of the flowers from the punch outs and put a white butterfly inked in SU! Tempting Turquoise to match the SU! Tempting Turquoise "Friendship" word which is stamped from the Inque Boutique "Garden of Friendship" set. I added a WOC ultra mini light pink pearl to the middle of the butterfly.

I wanted this "smile" one to be as bright and colorful as possible! I stamped the base in SU! Tempting Turquoise and the word smile was masked off from a sentiment in a CTMH set. I don't know the name of it because there is no label on the package. I stamped it SU! Lovely Lilac. For the flowers I used yellow, pink and turquoise with a medium size pearl in the middle. I used light green for the leaves inking the edges in a darker green and used a dark green butterfly with a lovely clear gem in the middle.
I know this one will make Tiff smile. Her favorite flower is a Yellow Rose so that's why I wanted the largest base flower to be a big yellow flower.

Here are the magnets after being punched. I peeled the white off one of them, that black side is the sticky side. They are quite sticky, but not sticky enough for me, so that's why I went ahead and added a layer of the Glossy Accents for extra strong hold.
See, sticky side!


Well, that's all for this post. I hope that I've given you some inspiration on some ways you can make your own magnets. This can really be done with any stamp set that has a coordinating punch by using the thin 'Cut 'n' Go' photo magnets. I will say, I was NOT able to find these magnets at Walmart. I've had them for a few years (as I bought a large package), but the only place I could find magnet sheets thin enough that my punches could punch through were these 'Cut 'n' Go' photo magnets. I got them Office Depot for $7.99 for six 4" x 6" sheets.


I know Tiff is going to love this set of magnets and they're going to decorate her fridge nicely. Be sure to check back soon as I'll be working on my next post of our Grand Son's 1st Birthday card. It turned out SO cute, you're not gonna wanna miss it!

Thanks for stopping by!
Keep on Craftin'
~Melisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...