Monday, February 16, 2015

Happy Hexagons, I mean Happy Birthday!

Our friend Cindy just recently had a birthday, and I wanted to share the card I made for her.

I knew I wanted to make her a card with the Stampin' Up! Six Sided Sampler set. She isn't very "girly", so I tried to come up with a card that wasn't girly either. sometimes, that's really difficult to do! I sat for HOURS, I'd say probably 2.5 to 3 hours looking through all my cardstock and paper trying to figure out what to make that would look cool with these stamps. Something pretty, but not too girly, but something cool but not masculine.

After a while I gave up and had to go to google for inspiration. I found a LOT of really cute, pretty, unique and cool cards. I wanted to take a 'simple' card that I found and spruce it up a little bit and make it a tad bit more fancy.

So, I ended up doing a CASE (Copy and Slightly Edit) of a card that I found. Click below for the deets, here is a sneak peek for now...





Along with knowing what stamp set I wanted to use, I also knew I wanted to use Purple and Orange. I am trying to work on cards using colors that I wouldn't normally use. I am very stuck on my Rich Razzleberry and my Tempting Turquoise, but I need to get away from those colors and start using other colors, too. It's difficult to do!

Anyhow, the card I found to CASE (Copy and Slightly Edit) is a card that I found on google. A lady named Amy Storrie made the card and she is a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. So, I thought it would be really fun to do my own take on a card from a Demo!

THIS is the card she made:


and here is MY re-creation of the card.
I used a few different colors of ink. I used Stampin' Up! Only Orange, Stampin' Up! Chocolate Chip, Stampin' Up! Bashful Blue, Tim Holtz Peacock Feathers distress ink and Colorbox Violet pigment ink. I also used Stampin' Up! Rich Razzleberry to distress the edges of the blue polka dot paper. I wanted to tie in some more purple.

 I REALLY like how my card came out. I think it looks very cute! I think all of the colors work well together, and the layout of the card is smooth and the transition from one element to the next is nice without being too harsh on the eyes (i.e. the stamped and punched hexagons stand out nicely from the embossed hexagon background).
I used a small Recollections flower paired with a mini silk flower and a Recollections brad. I'm not sure WHAT type of ribbon this is, I got it in a ribbon swap bag. I love getting all types of different ribbons, other than just flat. They are SO fun to play with! :)

 I used 3d foam circles to pop the stamped and punched hexagons up off the card and I used 3d foam squares (taller than the circles) to pop the sentiment off the hexagon.

For the inside I used the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut Collection stamp set to stamp the small best wishes sentiment. It fits nicely since I already made the Happy Birthday the focal image on the front of the card. For the mini hexagons inside I actually used the "border" embossing folder from the Cuttlebug Honeycomb embossing folder and border set. I got the set on sale at Joann's for $4.99 AND I got to use a 40% off coupon, too!
I really like using embossing folders to make "stamps". It often comes out really cute, such as here, to just give the inside of the card a little something instead of leaving it blank!


Here is the Cuttlebug Embossing Folder and Border set I got. Isn't it neat?

I do still need to get an actual "Hexagon" set, because while this is similar, it's not exact. This is a honeycomb, and I would like to have the offset look of hexagons.

Well, that's my birthday card for a friend, I hope you enjoyed looking.

Keep on Craftin'
~Melisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! feel free to leave me a comment, I am always interested in what my readers think about my crafty creations! I reserve the right to delete any comment that is offensive or vulgar, and I will definitely delete ANY post that is SPAM. This does not mean I will delete your comment just because you say you do not like my work, but please just keep all language clean and help keep my blog clean and free of spam!
If you leave a comment, *PLEASE* click on "Subscribe by e-mail" so that follow up comments may be sent to you, because I *ALWAYS* reply to comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...